Wine for Dragons

Singapore Wine Blog... Wine Reviews and Tastings... Review of Wine bars and Wine accessories...

Friday, September 29, 2006

Wine Tasting Event : Carrefour International Wine Fair at Suntec City (28 Sept 2006)


This is the biannual Carrefour International Wine Fair, they usually alternate between the Suntec City and the Plaza Singapore locations. I missed the last one at Plaza Singapura because I had to go overseas for work. So in NO way I was going to miss this one.
This was a private invitation night, and the funny thing is that they always send the invite to my wife instead of me! It is really peculiar, considering that I am the main paymaster here!

I was a little late 7.15 pm and most of the wine tastings were almost finished, this time they had a quota for how many bottles they were going to open. Based on my guess, it is about 6 bottles per wine only. Personally, I feel that they may have saved some cost but lost out on people who buy in cases and cases of wine (It is true! We saw people with Trolleys filled to the brim!?). So it may not have been the most correct of decisions made. The spread of food available was pretty good with spring rolls, salmon quiches and chicken puffs.

K.T spent more time eating the food than sampling the wine. She managed to get some Blue (= stinky) Cheese as well at very reasonable prices. Another fascinating sight was that some parents brought their kids in for the Wine Fair, the concern is not so much the issue with legal drinking age limit of 18, but children + wine glasses = trouble. Luckily, there was no incident.



I bought two bottles, one is a second growth Chateau Leoville Poyferre vintage 1993 , the other is 2nd wine of a second growth Reserve de la Comtesse 2003, both of which I am going to open only for special occasions. They were at very good prices and I did see many people easily snapping up 6 to 12 bottles of each wine. Well, I think a good buy I did make during the Wine Fair was buying a Luminarc glass decanter for ~S$27, it is heavier and less elegant than the crystals ones, but it gets the job done!!
Wish me good luck for the lucky draw to win a Wine Cooler!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 3:43 AM, Blogger TriathlonChef said…

    Hahaha.. i'm just an amature wine blogger who loves fruity sweet and dry wine...

    thx for leaving a comment in my blog :)

     
  • At 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i wouldn't hold the lp off for too long. '93 wasn't a particularly fantistic year, if my rusty pc/xt between my shoulders serves me well. i remember one of the best, if not the top, wine of that vintage was the haut-brion.

    i must admit i have yet to check the rating and comments on the '93 lp. since you've got 2 bottle of it, i suggest you open one sooon and gauge how long more you should keep the other.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home